Items you will need to apply for tags and title when moving from out-of-state:
1. TN driver’s license showing your Sumner County address. If you have not applied for your TN D/L, you will need to provided copies of two secondary proofs (see list below: https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/revenue/documents/vehicle/acceptableproofsofid.pdf.)
2. Most current out-of state registration; and
3. Out-of-State title. If the title is being held by a lienholder, you will need to provide the complete name and address of the lien holder.
4. Emission Certificate All Sumner County Vehicles model year 1975 and newer with a GVWR 10,500 or less are required to provide an emission compliance certificate when a license plate.
5. The fee for a TN title and plate good for one year is $91.00. Check should be made payable to: Sumner County Clerk
You can apply for title in the following methods:
In-Person - The County Administration Building in Gallatin will open to the public starting Friday, May 1, 2020. Everyone (Employees and Customers) entering the building will be subject a wellness screen. More Info The Hendersonville Office will open for inside customers starting May 11, 2020. For safety reason the number of customers allowed inside the office will be limited. https://sumnertags.com/information/locations Title applications are accepted inside one of our offices at the MVD counter.
Have additional Questions?
Leave your contact phone number at 615-452-4063 or Clerk@SumnerCountyTN.gov and we will call you.
Sumner County Clerk
355 N Belvedere Dr Rm 111
Gallatin, TN 37066-5410