***Emission testing centers will reopening May 26, 2020 at noon.*** Update Posted 05-26-2020
Does my car need to be emission tested??
If your car tag expires May 31, 2020 or before – NO EMISSION TEST Required through June 15.
New registrations and past due renewals processed in May – NO EMISSION TEST Required through June 15.
If your car tag expires June 30, 2020 or after –EMISSION TEST REQUIRED.
All non-exempt new registrations and past due renewals processed after June 15, 2020 and after – EMISSION TEST REQUIRED.
- Emission Testing Repeal Information Public Chapter 953
- Sumner County Passenger vehicles and light duty trucks 1975 or newer are required to be tested for emissions before they can be renewed or a new plate can be purchased. Effective 04/01/05 only those vehicles with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) greater than 10,500 pounds are exempt from the emissions test requirement. Diesel-powered vehicles are no longer exempt.
- You will need to have a renewal notice, an old registration or the vehicle title available for testing. The fee is $9.00.
- The testing center in Sumner County is located on Grassland Place across Highway 31 from Volunteer State Community College. The hours of operation are Monday and Tuesday 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.; Wednesday to Friday – 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.; and Saturday, 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Holiday hours vary.
- Any of the ten testing centers in the five-county region may be used to obtain your compliance certificate.
- LINK TO ADDITIONAL STATE INFORMATION
- LINK TO ENVIROTEST INFORMATION
- HOW TO APPLY FOR A VEHICLE EXEMPTION
LOCATIONS Emission Station Cameras Click Sumner County
The County Clerk's Satellite locations in Portland, Westmoreland and White House will not be in operation during
Sumner County's Declaration of Emergency and the suspension of emission testing.
2020 MOBILE EMISSION TESTING DATES